Latin Lawyer 2010: “best-known for his arbitration work”.
Chambers Global 2012: “Senior statesmen”, Chilean list in Dispute Resolution.
Areas of Practice:
• Philippi, Yrarrázaval, Pulido & Brunner, (1968 -). Presently senior counsel.
• Yrarrázaval, Diez y Pérez Cotapos, Attorneys at Law (1957 1961; 1964 1968).
• Curtis, Mallet Prevost, Colt & Mosle, Attorneys at Law (New York, 1963).
• Interamerican Law Institute, School of Law, New York University (1962 3).
• School of Law, Catholic University of Chile (1957 1961).
Obtained his degree in Law in 1964.
Specific Professional Work:
• Legal counsel to foreign and domestic investors and financial institutions in industrial, mining and banking projects.
• Arbitrator in domestic and international cases.
• Member of the list of arbitrators of ICSID, appointed by the Chilean Government (1999-2011). Arbitrator in Cases CIADI ARB/03/06, ARB/05/11 and ARB/06/19.
• Member of the list of arbitrators of the Centre of Mediation and Commercial Arbitration of the Argentinean Chamber of Commerce (2008-), of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution of the American Arbitration Association (2007-), the Energy Arbitrator’s List of the AAA (2007-), of the Chilean American Chamber of Commerce (1999-) and the Centre of Arbitration and Mediation of the Santiago Chamber of Commerce (1998-).
• ICC Country Rapporteur for Chile on Enforcement of Foreign Awards pursuant to the New York Convention (2008, 2010, 2012).
• Legal counsel to the Ministry of Justice with regards to the enactment of the Law on International Commercial Arbitration (2004-5) and to changes of legislation on domestic arbitration (2009).
• Chief Legal Counsel of the Government of Chile in the negotiations for the accession of Chile to NAFTA (1995) and of the FTA with Canada (1996-1997) and with United States of America (2001-2003) and in the Political and Economic Association Agreement between Chile and the European Union (2001-2002).
• Member of the Board of the Arbitration and Mediation Centre of the Santiago Chamber of Commerce (1998-).
• Member of the Council of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association in representation of South America (2007-2009).
• Director of the Chilean American Chamber of Commerce (2004-2009).
• Legal counsel to the Ministry of Finance in relation to changes to the Foreign Investment Law (1985-6) and to the legislation on exploitation of oil (1985 and 1987).
• Legal counsel (together with other members of the law firm) to the International Banking Community in the restructuring of the Chilean external debt in 1982 and in loans to the Chilean Government, state entities and banks (1982-1985).
• Professor in Master on International Law, offered by the University of Heidelberg and the University of Chile (2004-). Courses: The Chile-European Union Association Agreement; The Dispute Resolution Systems under the Chile-USA Free Trade Agreement and Chile-European Union Association Agreement.
• Professor at Graduate School, School of Law University of Chile (1996, 2005 and 2007) on Constitutional Tax Issues and Interpretation of the tax laws. Professor in the Magister on International Transactions (1982) and on Taxation (1983-4, 1985-6, 2001-2, 2005). Professor on special courses of Taxation (1984, 1986) and Foreign Investments (1986).
• Professor at School of Law, University of Chile, Taxation (1970-1992), International Business Transactions (1999-2000).
• Professor in Master on Business and Finance Gabriela Mistral University (2006). Courses: Domestic and international Arbitration; Arbitration in International Trade Agreements.
• Judicial Academy of Chile (for judges), jury selection of teachers (1996–1998).
• Catholic University School of Law, Tax Law Assistant Chair (1965-1970).
• Vice Dean, Faculty of Law University of Chile (2009-2010).
• Chairman and Chief Executive Master Tax Law, Faculty of Law University of Chile (2003-2008).
• Vice Dean, Faculty of Law University of Chile (1990-1994).
• Speaker in several seminars in Chile, USA, Canadá, México, Brazil, Germany, Switzerland, Australia and Perú on international transactions, doing business in Chile, international and domestic arbitration, constitutional rules in Chile regarding economic activities, dispute settlement in trade agreements, concessions on public works.
• Speaker and Chairman in meetings of the American Management Association, New York (1976-1977) on investments in Latin America. Speaker in seminars of the Practicing Law Institute, New York (1980 y 1992), on foreign investments in Chile.
• Legal counsel to Fundación Hogar de Cristo (2009-)
• Member of the Ethical Tribunal of the Bar Association (2011-).
• Member of the Council of Fundación ProBono (2000-2011).
• Legal counsel to Fundación Piedra Viva of Mario Irarrázabal (1996-).
• Chapter on Chile in “Guide to National Rules of Procedure for Recognition and Enforcement of New York Convention Award”. Country Rapporteur, International Court of Arbitration (ICC) Bulletin, 2008, 2010, 2012;
• “Arbitration in Chile”, Global Arbitration Review, 2009 (co-author);
• “Arbitration in Chile 2008”, Latin Lawyer Magazine (co-author);
• “Arbitration in Free Trade Agreements signed by Chile”, in “Studies on Arbitration” (Editorial Jurídica de Chile, 2006);
• “Dispute Resolution between States in the FTA with the U.S.A. and in the Association Agreement with the European Union”, Law Review N°9 of Finis Terrae University, Santiago, 2005;
• “Legal Services in Free Trade Agreements”, Journal of the Chilean Bar Association, July 2003;
• “Arbitration in Chile”, Latin Lawyer Review 2001;
• “Mechanism for Settlement of Disputes regarding investments in the Chile-Canada Free Trade Agreement”, Journal of the Chilean Bar Association, November 1999;
• “The Legal Profession in areas of economic integration”, XIII Congress of U.I.B.A., Colegio de Abogados de Chile, September 1998;
• “Foreign Investments under NAFTA; implications for Chile”, Revue Générale de Droit, Université d’Ottawa, September 1994;
• “Chile welcome for Joint Ventures”, International Corporate Law, November, 1993;
• “The Legal System” in “Chile: Stability and Progress”. Euromoney Publications, 1993;
• “Tax aspects of Intellectual Property under Chilean law”, VII International Congress on the Protection of Intellectual Property, 1992;
• Materials for a Tax Course. School of Law, University of Chile. (1989-1992);
• “Tax, Customs, Foreign Exchange, and Antitrust aspects of contracts for technological purposes” in the “Manual on Technology Agreements” published by The Inter-University Center for Development, 1989;
• “Territorial effects of the Tax Law”, Review of Legal Studies. School of Law, Catholic University, Volume I N°2, 1972;
• “The Income Tax Law” (text for active teaching in the School of Law, together with other authors), 1969;
• “Institutional Aspects of the European Economic Committee”, Editorial Jurídica de Chile, 1969;
• “The Contract-Law”. Fourth Meeting of Chilean Public Law, (Editorial Jurídica de Chile, 1966);
• “Definition of Taxable Income” (1962). Thesis.
• Bar Association of Chile.
• International Fiscal Association (IFA)-Chile.
• Latin American Association of Arbitration.